What is a cultural education plan?
A cultural education plan:
- Is a plan detailing the systematic implementation of culture, art and cultural heritage education as part of the municipality’s teaching.
- Represents the agreement of one or more municipalities regarding the cultural education of pupils from one grade to another.
- Renders the schools’ cultural education work target-oriented.
- Concerns the grades 1–9 and, in some municipalities, secondary education and early childhood education.
- Guarantees all children and youth the equal possibility to experience and participate in local culture in a diverse manner.
- Is written and implemented in cooperation with education and culture sector operators.
- Is based on the municipality’s own cultural supply and heritage as well as the spontaneous activities of children and youth.
Why is a cultural education plan made?
What does a cultural education plan offer students?
- Equal opportunities to participate and get acquainted with art and culture.
- A chance to familiarize oneself with the culture and cultural heritage of one’s home town or region.
- An understanding of the diversity of cultures.
- The skill to read the messages arbitrated by the media and the surrounding world.
- School satisfaction, experiences of success, creativity and healthy self-respect.
What does a cultural education plan offer schools?
- Versatile opportunities to fulfil the goals set by the curriculum.
- New ways of learning and new learning environments.
- Systematic and target-oriented cultural education.
- Equal opportunities – the plan applies to all schools regardless of their location or economic situation.
- Common and prepared culture and art contents for everyday teaching at schools.
How does a cultural education plan support cultural operators and artists?
- It helps to develop the cultural supply directed at children and youth and takes into consideration the schools’ needs.
- It increases the visitor volumes of cultural services and widens the audience base.
- It educates the future’s culture and art audience.
- It employs artists.
What does a cultural education plan offer the municipality or region?
- Culture is an important attraction factor and welfare service.
- It enables the municipality or region to highlight its own special cultural characteristics, thus supporting local cultural operators and anchoring the inhabitants into their surroundings.
How is a cultural education plan made?
- By cooperating
The cultural education plan is founded on the cooperation between the education and culture sectors, various art and cultural institutions, art schools, local associations and local artists. Multidisciplinary expertise, a clear distribution of responsibilities, and the utilization or large networks guarantee a good result.
- By utilizing all the opportunities offered by the municipality or region
The plan is always based on the municipality or region’s own opportunities. It takes into account the region’s libraries, galleries, theaters, orchestras, art centers, museums and archives and other cultural destinations: architecturally significant buildings, essential sculptures and statues, traditional estates, cultural paths, religious buildings, castles and world heritage sites.
In addition, the plan is tied to the region’s cultural events and invites artists, culture and art associations, homestead associations, traditional craftsmen, artist cooperatives, art educators, basic art education, performers and other travelling groups to take a part in it. The art and cultural supply can be complemented with virtual materials and in cooperation with regional and national operators.
- By sensible resourcing and budgeting
The benefit of systematic cultural education is its cost-effectiveness. In most cases, the municipality’s education and cultural departments share the costs of the cultural education plan. Some plans have received supported in Finland via project funding. The man-hours spent by various operators for the drafting of the cultural education plan form a notable resource.
- By careful planning
Culturaleducationplan.fi is a Finnish web service offering instructions for the writing of a cultural education plan for one or more municipalities. The plan covers the whole basic education.